Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stereotype?

I have a friend from Kenya, the first thing that came up to my mind when I met him was, "Aren't you proud that U.S president, Barrack Obama inherits a Kenyan blood?". Surprisingly, his answer was, " Uhm, not that it really matters to me. Obama family comes from different Kenyan tribes than mine. And umm, we don't really like his tribes,". Well, I don't expect his answer to be that way. I am surprised that hatred is rooted so deep in many people's heart. The UN has peace keeping and peace making corpse, but really the problem with those people is not the political or economical one. It is the education. They simple take their parents hate for granted, without actually having a strong reason why we don't like certain group or certain tribes.
I do hope that as an educated people we don't simply believe in stereotype or accusation. We often hear, Orang Padang is commonly pelit or Orang Batak is commonly galak. That's is soo stereotypical. It keeps us away from getting to know others. There's this giant wall of prejudice that's  making everybody looks the same, although everybody is different in their own way.


No comments: