Thursday, July 8, 2010

JET LAG

It is very unusual for me to just randomly wake up at 2 o'clock at night because I just can't sleep. I don't know why but I guess, this is what you call jet lag. I get really tired in the afternoon and decide to take a nap, and suddenly I wake up in the middle of the night (feeling hungry). So far I don't feel like it's a real big challenge to readjust with life back here in Depok. Maybe because I haven't really gone anywhere. The only place that I've been to is salon deket rumah.. I would just guess that it will be a challenge for me to see Depok's traffic, and Depok's pollution. I will probably complain everywhere I go. Even though I try hard not to compare things in here and in the US. Because it's just simply different, it's just so unfair to merely blame Indonesia for not having what the US offers.

One of the first thing that came up to my mind as soon as I arrived was, "what about school?". I've been worrying a lot about going back to school in here. Compared to American school, I feel like Indonesian school is really hard, too many materials and too many classes. It's hard to focus in what you really want to do. Not that I'm whining like baby because I don't want to live a hard life. Maybe it's just a culture shock. I will try to do everything it takes to enjoy life.

One of the first conversation that I had with my sister was about school fee. I know that when I'm going back i will be in RSBI class (international standardized class).  I paid Rp 350.000 a month for school, but my sister told me she has to pay Rp 475.000 a month. I was so shocked to hear that public school fee is really high. I am really disappointed to know that going to a high school is really expensive in here. I don't really understand yet what RSBI offers to the student that makes the school really expensive. AC? Locker? I guess that's not the point of education. It's so inappropriate for school to ask so much money from parent. Public school is intended to every layer of society, poor or rich. I guess not a lot of poor family wants to pay 500k a month just for school. I know that my school is a good school. A lot of the students are really smart and talented, the teachers are also really good. But still, it is a public school.It is so unfair that only so few people can afford good education. I used to support the goal of RSBI, but I don't know if it is still a good idea. I think the government should rethink about what they want to do with this program. I hope it is not about commercializing education. When we drove back from the airport to the orientation camp. I was soo sad to see the face of Jakarta. The river was brown and there are so many slums. Nation's capital city is usually a peaceful place. But unfortunately not in this country. Not that I'm not proud to be Indonesian, it's just my concern to this country. Well, that was just my thought. I hope that I will recover from this jet lag  syndrome soon. It's just ga enak banget..

No comments: